Wednesday 7 July 2010

MULTI-STOREY CAR PARK THAT DOESN'T RAPE ITS SURROUNDINGS


Can you the multi-storey car park? It's there, in the background, standing shoulder to shoulder with the yellow brick building. This friendly feature of downtown Bergen, located only a few meters from Bryggen is actually my favourite building of that kind, of course excepting the ones who are underground.


It's not the most beautiful or interesting building I've ever seen, but it blends very well into its surroundings. Usually, multi-storey car parks are like really ugly UFOs which have landed in the middle of the city, buildings without any relation to the environment around them, neither in size, materials or shape. In this way, they draw all the attention to themselves, without the quality of the design usually justifying that.

This building, however includes many features from the buildings around it, including the brick walls, the arched openings, the angle of the roof and the overall size. I don't know who the architect is, but I'd like to give him or her a hug.

PS. I'm sorry about the blog being in a kind of holiday mood, with not too many posts. I'll try to speed up, and I'll be back with lots of new stuff when year two of my time at BAS starts 1st September.

2 comments:

  1. jeg tenker bare....

    http://www.asiktstorped.se/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/what-about-the-good-things-hitler-did.gif

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does Hitler have to do with it? Do you find the building a bit... strict? As mentioned, this is not my favourite architecture and probably not how I would have done it, but it's still one of the best multi-storey car parks I've ever seen, especially considering the setting of an historical city centre.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...