Sunday 11 July 2010

SMELLS LIKE ARCHITECTURE


A week ago, I was walking around by myself in Copenhagen, taking pictures of houses, walking into other people's backyards and smelling the roses, when I passed this door. Discovering that there was a window in it, I just had to lean really close and look through it, to find out what was on the other side.

 

As I was looking through the glass (in which you can see a reflection of my finger taking the picture, by the way), however, I noticed that the window was not only beautiful and solidly carved to the shape of a laurel wreath, it also had a very nice smell. I'm not sure what kind of wood this is, but it looks a bit like oak. It could also be pine, which smells very nice as well. 

Anyway, I decided to take these pictures so I wouldn't forget that architecture isn't just about images or giving your stuff a cool look. I think its different elements have to stimulate as many senses as possible, including doors that give away a lovely smell in the summer sunshine when you lean close to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...